A recent review article by Dutkowski et al. looked at the evolving evidence for machine perfusion in liver transplantation. They explored the evidence and requirements for both HMP and NMP.
They presented the following information:
- That endpoints need to be strictly chosen in order to show evidence of clinical benefits
- AST levels poorly reflect outcomes
- Hospital length of stay is subjective to transplant centers
- The importance of targeting the rescue of damaged organs while ensuring acceptance or rejection of a graft is not dependent on whether it was randomized to MP vs SCS
- The mechanisms of both NMP and HMP are very different
- Due to the in vivo conditions of NMP, the inflammatory responses are activated thus the requirement of strategies to reduce ROS in the system are required
- HMP mitigates the inflammatory response
Overall, they concluded that future investigations should explore more clinically relevant end points and search for the potential protective mechanisms and strategies to evaluate effective repair of the organs prior to transplantation.
Read the full article here: https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2018.12.037
Check out the most recent posts
Business Wire—Organ Recovery Systems’ LifePort Liver Transporter Preserves First Livers for Transplant as Part of the PILOT Continued Access Study
We are proud to announce that the first livers have officially been transplanted using the LifePort®Liver Transporter as part of the PILOT™ Continued Access Study. The first livers preserved with the LLT under Continued Access were transplanted at University...
Business Wire—LifePort Kidney Transporter Awarded Exclusive Contract for Kidney Transplant Preservation Services in Belgium
We are proud to announce that the first kidney has officially been pumped using the LifePort Kidney Transporter in Belgium under a newly signed contract that names Organ Recovery Systems as the exclusive provider of kidney preservation services at seven transplant...
A systematic review and meta-analysis by Jakubauskas et al. aimed to review the literature reporting liver transplant outcomes when using normothermic machine perfusion (NMP) or hypothermic machine perfusion (HMP) for organ preservation compared to static cold storage...
In collaboration with Gift of Hope Organ & Tissue Donor Network, we're proud to provide two videos around kidney perfusion on the Organ Recovery Systems Client Community! Kidney Perfusion Improves Transplant Success describes how Gift of Hope uses HMP technology...